Molester Beaten to Death by Texas Dad Identified, Disturbing New Details Released
On a previous Random Shots, we talked about a Texas man who killed a pedophile who was trying to molest his daughter. We didn't have much in the way of particulars other than that the incident took place.
Now the man who was beaten to death by a Texas dad for trying to molest his 5-year-old daughter has been identified by authorities.
Previous news reports had identified the girl as a 4-year-old, but her age was corrected by Lavaca County authorities in a press release Friday, obtained by the Victoria Advocate.
Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon said that the father killed Jesus Mora Flores, age 47, from Gonzales, Texas.
The sheriff said Flores was not in the U.S. illegally and was in possession of a green card also known as a permanent resident card. Investigators have been working with Mexican Consulate officials to locate his family, the news release revealed.
Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon. (Source: co.lavaca.tx.us)
Harmon previously indicated that it is not likely that the 23-year-old father, who has not been identified to protect his daughter, will face any criminal charges. It seems even less likely in light of some new details that have been released.
On June 9th, the killing occurred in Mt. Olive, Texas, near a barn where some horses were being kept. The adults were shoeing a horse while the little girl and her brother went to feed chickens, KPRC in Houston reports.
The two kids’ grandfather later said the boy returned and told him that his sister had been taken away by a man (Flores) who apparently dragged her behind some bushes on the property. Immediately the Texas dad went out looking for her, calling her name. KPRC reportedly spoke with the family.
Soon, he heard the sound of his little girl’s screams and rushed to find her. When he did, he says Flores was molesting his daughter.
The dad yanked him off of her and repeatedly struck him in the head and neck with his fists, ultimately killing him. Flores, an acquaintance of the father, had been hired to help tend to some of the family’s horses.
But it is now clear that the father walked into a even more horrifying scene than previously known.
"When emergency medical personnel arrived, Jesus Mora Flores‘ pants and underwear were down and the man’s genitals were exposed," Harmon was quoted saying in the press release, as reported by the Victoria Advocate.
There has been no evidence that has conflicted with the father’s account of the events, Harmon said. The dad was reportedly very remorseful and told investigators he did not intend to kill Flores. Further, the sheriff said the father and his family have cooperated with authorities.
"Despite all the other factors involved, this is still a homicide investigation," Harmon explained.
Now the Texas dad’s fate is in the hands of a grand jury who will hear his case and decide whether he will face any charges.
"Sheriff Harmon made the right decision in not arresting the father at the time of the incident," Lavaca County District Attorney Heather McMinn said.
Harmon said, in his eight years as sheriff, he has only investigated six homicides. The autopsy on Flores won’t be done for several weeks, the Advocate reports.
"This case has been very traumatizing on the child, her father and his entire family," he added.
One less scumbag is a good thing for the world, but it's a shame that it has to come at such a heavy cost to those involved. I can only hope and pray that time wipes the little girl's mind clean of this horrible act.
IRS to Use $881 Million Taxpayer Dollars to Implement ObamaCare
The Internal Revenue Service, the IRS, has stated that it is expecting to use $881 Million in Taxpayer Dollars to put into place the first four years of ObamaCare.
The new Government Accountability Office audit calls ObamaCare a "significant effort for IRS," CNS reported on Friday.
The IRS "implementation costs" are expected to total $881 Million from fiscal years 2010 to 2013, it says.
The $881 Million cost only covers work through 2013. However, the IRS has implementation work planned through 2018, so the total cost could be much much higher.
Of the $881 Million, $521 Million will come from the HHS Health Insurance Reform Implementation Fund (HIRIF), which Republicans criticize as being nothing but a "slush fund." The remaining $360 Million is to come from IRS's 2013 budget request, expected to be awarded through the Congressional budget process.
Health Insurance Reform Implementation Fund received $1 Billion from Congress to implement the health care overhaul. The GAO has said that transferring of $521 Million from that to the IRS is legal.
So if ObamaCare is struck down by the Supreme Court, all of this hidden Taxpayer Dollars will be wasted.
I'd wager they wouldn't be so fast to act like that again if they thought the law they didn't want to read called for Congressional salary cuts!
Cyclist Chris Bucchere faces Manslaughter after Killing Pedestrian in San Francisco
For anyone who has tried to get through the streets of San Francisco knows how tough it can be. It is a mess, and yes, driving in just about any other city in America including New Yolk City is easier than dealing with the craziness in San Francisco.
Now add bicycles, lots and lots of bicycles, and you get absolute mayhem.
They run red lights, they slap and beat on your vehicle, they cut you off, flip you off, and I've actually had a bicyclist call me all sorts of thing before kicking my truck and zipping off in front of traffic. Yes, they think they own San Francisco.
As I said, anyone who has been there knows, they run red lights because they feel the traffic laws don't pertain to them. I have personally witnessed pedestrians being knocked down without so much as taking a moment out to see how they were doing.
Well on March 29th, 2012, Chris Bucchere, age 36, ran a red traffic light and plowed into 71-year-old Sutchi Hui in a crosswalk with his bicycle. On April 2nd, 2012, Sutchi Hui died because of the injuries he got from being plowed into.
Now San Francisco prosecutors said they would file felony vehicular manslaughter charges against a bicyclist who hit and killed Sutchi Hui who was a pedestrian.
The case has become what some are calling a flash point over the debate regarding bicyclists' in the city by the bay. The manslaughter charges, unusually stiff for what the liberal left is calling just a "bicycle accident" are long overdue.
An arrest warrant was issued for Chris Bucchere, who will be arraigned early next week, said San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon, adding that the manslaughter charges are unusual for an incident that would usually be treated as a misdemeanor.
"I'm hoping this case serves to raise awareness that rules of the road apply to everyone," Gascon said in a news conference Thursday.
For people who have had to drive in San Francisco for one reason or another, it is common knowledge that the bicyclists there have a lot of clout with the city. So for this to actually be happening is pretty amazing!
California Can Expect Blackouts This Summer When San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant Go Offline
Southern California utility officials are warning that blackouts in the region are almost a certainty this summer as a result of the sidelined San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
The plant is likely to remain sidelined until at least the end of August while inspectors probe excessive wear in tubing that carries radioactive water, the plant's operator said Thursday.
The officials say that if a heat wave hits while the twin-reactor Nuclear Plant is offline, rotating blackouts are very much a possibility.
Utilities have been scrambling to find replacement power as a precaution, including restarting two retired natural gas-fired plants in Orange County.
Southern California Edison said in a statement that the company plans by the end of July to submit a plan to Federal regulators to restart the Unit 2 reactor, where damage to tubes in its steam generators has been less severe than in its twin, Unit 3.
A proposal to restart either reactor must be approved by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and that review could take weeks - or months - OK, maybe even longer since it is an election year and the Environmentalist lobby has a great deal of politically clout with the Obama administration.
Southern California Edison spokeswoman Jennifer Manfre said it's likely the plant between San Diego and Los Angeles will remain shuttered at least through August.
The trouble began to unfold in January, when the Unit 3 reactor was shut down as a precaution after a tube break. Traces of radiation escaped at the time, but officials said there was no danger to workers or neighbors. Unit 2 had been taken offline earlier that month for maintenance, but inspectors later found unexpected wear on hundreds of tubes in both units.
Gradual wear is common in such tubing, but the rate of erosion in some tubes at San Onofre alarmed officials since the generators are relatively new. The company has said 1,300 tubes will be taken out of service, although the number is well within the margin to allow the generators to keep operating.
The company has found that the tube wear is being caused by vibration and friction with adjacent tubes and bracing, but inspectors have yet to say why that's happening or how they will fix it.
Southern California Edison initially targeted a June restart for at least one of the twin reactors. A tentative plan called for restarting and running the seaside reactors at lower power, at least for several months, because engineers believe that will ease vibration that could be eroding tubes.
The NRC has said there is no timetable to restart the reactors, which were replaced in 2009 and 2010 in a $670 million overhaul.
About 7.4 Million Californians live within 50 miles of San Onofre, which can power 1.4 Million homes.
Presure from anti-Nuclear environmentalist groups have been putting pressure on Congress, as well as Sacramento and the surrounding communities. The environmentalist want San Onofre to shut down permanently.
The Irvine City Council urged the NRC to thoroughly review safety conditions at the plant before it is considered for re-licensing in 2022.
The plant is owned by SCE, San Diego Gas & Electric and the city of Riverside. The Unit 1 reactor operated from 1968 to 1992, when it was shut down and dismantled.
Back in the early '90s, I had the opportunity to work at San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant when I was still doing inspection work. I can say without hesitation that Southern California Edison is a good company and really does have the safety of the public and its employees as the company's top concern.
Dallas County expands spraying for West Nile Virus
Out of Dallas, Texas, comes a report that says that you can expect to see trucks spraying for West Nile virus on a regular basis in North Texas.
Mosquitoes carrying West Nile have already been found in Plano, Denton, and Dallas County. And in fact, Denton County already has a confirmed human case of West Nile.
Mark Funderburk is a pest control expert and says he's dealing with the mosquitoes already. "There's a lot of water around and the environment is really good for mosquitoes", he said.
"We're getting calls about it but we're not spraying yet so we won't be doing that until we really get calls for that", Funderburk said.
Mosquitoes infected with West Nile can cause encephalitis making a person feel like they have the flu. In some cases it can be fatal.
The mild winter and regular rainfall has led to an early mosquito season. Normally, the threat of West Nile shows up in middle of summer.
In March, David Jefferson with Tarrant County Public Health told CW 33 "human cases which fortunately has been very low the last few years usually show up toward the end of the summer, August, September.”
In Dallas County, spraying started last week and will continue through Tuesday morning of this week if the weather holds up. South Dallas and portions of Oak Lawn are the target areas.
In the meantime, there are ways to protect yourself - such as avoiding being outside in the evenings are late at night when mosquitoes are most active, getting rid of standing water even small amounts, wearing the proper clothing like long sleeve shirts, and use a mosquito repellent.
But if you must be outside, Funderburk said "the best thing that I tell them to do is use mosquito repellent. That's the most effective way to keep mosquitoes off you as a person."
I recommend that an insect repellent containing DEET should be used. Use it on exposed skin surfaces when mosquitoes are around. DEET is the most effective and best studied insect repellent on the market - and with a remarkable safety profile after 40 years of worldwide use, you can feel safe using it.
There are low absorption formulations of DEET that are available. It is preferable to use a DEET concentration of not more than 35%.
When applying DEET, care must be taken to avoid allowing the repellent to contact the eyes or mouth.
Remember that preventing West Nile Virus is a two step process - mosquito reduction and personal protection.
As for your horses, I would not drag my feet and immediately contact my Veterinarian about West Nile Virus vaccinations for my animals.
70th Anniversary of Battle of Midway
The Battle of Midway took place on June 4th, 1942. That battle cost America many lives.
Two years before D-Day in 1944, the Battle of Midway's heroic drama was critical in that the outcome would turn the tide of World War II in the Pacific. Victory was a must, and it came at a heavy cost.
Seventy years later, among the places where commemoration ceremonies took place. One special place was in the Arabian Gulf aboard the USS Enterprise.